Monday, January 28, 2008

Self Confidence

I have interesting conversations with my friends. When those conversations and the blog topics of certain respected bloggers coincide, I think it is probably something that God is either trying to tell me, or is trying to tell somebody close to me. So here it goes.
II Corinthians 3:4-6:

"Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

If any of you have known me for long, you will know that I am extremely self confident, almost arrogant (though I am truly not arrogant or egotistical, I just joke about it). However, I see a lot of people day in and day out, some people who are even good friends of mine, who don't have any confidence in themselves. This pains me, because they struggle as a result and often bad mouth themselves. I am not saying that everyone should be as confident as I am or be as outgoing as I appear to be. Far from it, the thing I would love to see is that everyone would realize that we are all worthless, however, we have worth because God finds us worth his love.
Self Confidence, self esteem, competence, its basically all the same thing. As a friend of mine put it one time "America is just one big self esteem factory". Don't like something about yourself? Get some plastic surgery. Feel like you are worse than everyone else? well, you probably have a clinical disease. There is probably a pill for it. Thats America for you. Have low self esteem? Well, we can probably fix that with the WRONG THINGS!! Drugs, alcohol, there really is an endless list of things that people use to give themselves a boost. The truth of it is, there is only one thing that can really give you the kind of confidence in yourself that people want. The confidence that God died for you.

I know that sounds cliche, but its the truth...

4 comments:

Leanne said...

AMEN!!!!
:-D

madeleine_grace said...

Nice words.

Brittany Lynn said...

even if it does sound cliche, you are right, it is true! and sometimes we need to be reminded.
Bravo.

Unknown said...

"The letter kills, but the spirit brings new life"

Corinthians is probobly the most radical book of the bible. ha.